Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello fellow trappers!

Dave Wanichek

Hello fellow trappers! Empty Hello fellow trappers!

Post by Dave Wanichek Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:41 am

I am very pleased to have found this site! I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and as well as learn more along the way from you experienced trappers.

Now a little bit about myself...

As a child growing up I spent alot of time with my Dad and older brother running trap lines. Under the watchful eye of Dad I would make a few sets here and there. (usually would end up being a competion between my brother and I! lol) Anyway, for me it was more about just enjoying time with them than trapping. As I got older I was getting more into it. We would go to the state conventions and even went to the national convention once. It was always a great time! However here in WI they implemented an educational course that I needed to take in order to go out and do this on my own. We didnt have anyone giving the class locally so I just put it off. I figured I'd just take it later. Years had pasted and big brother was moved out of the house so sometimes it would be just Dad and I. Even though I wasn't making sets anymore we were making memories!
    Now in the fall of 98' I was hired by the same company that my Dad and brother worked for. As you can tell we kind of followed in Dad's footsteps! Well, it was on my first day that tragedy struck! I received a phone call from Ma that nite that Dad was found dead up in Northern Wis. by his friend. He was on vacation that week and was bear hunting. It was also a day after his 53rd birthday. Anybody that has lost anyone knows how devastating it is. Here I had just lost not only my Dad but my best friend.
    After that had happened I gave up on alot of things. In a sense I had given up on myself. The things that we had enjoyed so much such as the trapping, hunting, and fishing just weren't important to me anymore. I did still continue to deer hunt with my brother and Uncle. Even to this day it is sometimes hard not having him there.
    Now lets fast forward to this past spring. Now I have 3 kids of my own. Two sons (9,2) and a daughter (5)! I work for the same company however its a different name now and I'm at a different division! And now there's a trapper education course thats given here in town and has been for the past few years! Life is good! I took the course with my nephew early this spring! We had a blast!
    I'm trying not to push any of my kids into trapping but it is a good way to get some quality time with them! I cherish the memories I was able to make with my Dad and brother. I am really hoping to do the same with my own kids. Since its been so long and I'm not experienced as I'd like to be this year I'm kind of feeling things out. I've only got a dozen or so traps out. I dont want it to be overwhelming for me or the kids if/when they go with me. The focus is only on coon this year as well. I may try cable restraints this winter for coyotes. We'll see...
    I've posted some pics of what I've caught so far this year in the other forum. I am very happy to be back doing this again. Every morning I wake up I'm excited! The only regret I have is that I didnt do this sooner! This year has already been special for me! I was able to share the excitement of my first catch with my older brother who was in town!
    Like I said earlier... LIFE IS GOOD!!! Very Happy

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:52 pm